local dentist

Wassup?

local dentist

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

a bit of an odd request, but does anyone have experience of a good localish dentist? My wife needs some work and is terrified, so needs someone with a good bedside manner and, preferably, tons of anaesthetics.
Geoff

Re: local dentist

Postby editorialgirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 am

I haven't been for a while myself :oops: but Kirsty Irvine's practice on Wake Green Rd (next to the doctors) comes highly recommended. All the dentists (KIrsty, Sarah and - I think - Oliver?) are very nice and take time to make sure you know exactly what they're doing, and that you're not nervous. And it's not a clinical-looking place at all - instead, it's a bit like being round someone's house, which helps.

They don't take NHS patients any more, but their 'pay as you go' prices are pretty good. I've not had to have anything major done, though, so I don't know if the prices escalate once you go past the basic check up.

Their number is 449 0909.
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Postby bounder » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 pm

More a sort of anti-recommendation. Although they do take NHS patients I didn't enjoy going to the dentist opposite the Hare and Hounds in King's Heath — very conveyor-belt service and I wasn't very happy with the work either.

I now go to a place on the outskirts of Solihull which is much better, but not NHS and not cheap (http://www.dentist-finder.co.uk/city-So ... iffin.html )
bounder

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for that, but Kirsty's surgery doesn't offer anything stronger than a jab in the gum and I was kinda hoping for happy gas or IV, which I managed to find at one surgery. No reflection on said surgery, but am I alone in thinking that dental practice is still bit primitive, when it's considered OK to rip a molar out of your gum or perform root canal work with only local anaesthetic relief? Not sure this is strictly B13 relevant but thought I should just round off the topic.
Geoff

Postby editorialgirl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Geoff wrote:am I alone in thinking that dental practice is still bit primitive, when it's considered OK to rip a molar out of your gum or perform root canal work with only local anaesthetic relief?

I think it's actually a modern thing rather than a primitive thing. I had massive amounts of dental / orthodontic work done when I was a teenager (late 80s/early 90s), which at one point included having four teeth out. For this, they gave me a choice of local or general anaesthetic and I gratefully chose to be knocked out for the duration. A few years later, though, my sister went for similar treatment but was told that they "were no longer allowed" to offer general anaesthetic, as the risks attached were now deemed to be too great to justify using it when carrying out this sort of work.

I'm surprised that Kirsty's don't offer additional 'support' for patients who want it, though. My KH based colleague tells me that James Hull (which I think might be the one Jon mentioned in an earlier post - by the Hare and Hounds) has a big poster offering "sedation" ... although he's never actually taken advantage of this service, so we're not sure what it involves! He agrees the place can be conveyor-belt-like for basic check-ups, but he had some fillings there just last week and is pleased with the work.
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Postby regengirl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 pm

While I know Kirsty Irvine herself has a good reputation, I was really unimpressed, for a raft of reasons, with her Wake Green Rd practice while I was a patient there (seeing various dentists and the hygienist) before it stopped offering NHS treatment. And I'm one of those rare/weird souls who doesn't mind going to the dentist at all (I prefer going to the dentist to getting my hair cut - despite actually liking my hairdresser).

I've been going to Ms Basli at Broadway Dental Suite, Cope St, B18 7BA (off Ladywood Middleway - 15 minutes walk from the NIA) Tel. 250 6120 for about 3 years now and rate her. She has a lovely, reassuring style and is brilliant at explaining. Appointments are available from 850 up until 5ish and it's really easy to get one at those times. There's also plenty of parking. Reception can be a bit lacksadaisy/gruff but quick to rectify mistakes when pointed out & never rude (which I found often to be the case at Wake Green Rd).

I've no idea about sedation options though.

Hope that helps
regengirl

Postby GordonR » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:26 pm

[quote][/quote]

Kirsty Irvine has been my dentist for over 20 years and is so good that, having left Moseley five years ago, I travel from Twickenham several times a year (my teeth need that many visits!) and will cease doing so only on the sad day that Kirsty hangs up her drill.
GordonR

Return to Chat