Moseley Village CCTV

Wassup?

Re: Moseley Village CCTV

Postby barnardhobbit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 am

Just to remind people the very amateurish public consultation exercise
lasts for just one week and closes this coming Sunday the 5th December.

Your can complete the bias questionnaire which asks you leading questions
that is designed to get you to agree without any real facts.

It is open to anyone who lives, works, shops or visits Moseley.

You can Pick up and ALSO drop off the questionnaire from:

Moseley Exchange (rear of Moseley Post Office)
Domestica (170 Alcester Road)
Prince of Wales pub (118 Alcester Road)
Kings Heath Library (4 High Street, Kings Heath)
Kings Heath Neighbourhood Office (Silver Street, Kings Heath)
Kings Heath Community Centre (Heathfield Road, Kings Heath)

You can also download a copy HERE (Opens a PDF File)

You are also able to complete the Survey ONLINE HERE

If you would like you can also write to
Hall Green Constituency Office (Moseley CCTV)
12 Court Road,
Sparkhill,
B11 4LX

Or email hallgreen@birmingham.gov.uk
barnardhobbit

Postby barnardhobbit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Other connected news

As expected the West Midlands Police Authority have formally ratified the Chief Constable's
decision to remove all the spy cameras, scrapping 'Project Champion' in its entirety.

The cameras are coming down. Time-scale as yet unknown, but cost is £630k.

Coupled with £3.3 million already spent and the likelihood that all or most of the £3 million
grant will have to be repaid to the Home Office that brings the total to £7 million a complete
waste of public funds on this ill thought out plan at mass surveillance.

Still no heads to roll as of yet but I understand that Assistant Chief Constable Anil Patani
the officer behind the scheme is to take early retirement in February.

Birmingham 'spy' cameras 'to be removed'
barnardhobbit

Postby barnardhobbit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:00 am

Reminder today Sunday 6th December is the last day to give your opinion on whether
you will feel safer with CCTV cameras installed in Moseley Village.

You have until midnight to complete the Online Version of the survey just follow the link

Moseley CCTV Public Survey
barnardhobbit

Postby barnardhobbit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Here it something I posted today on the Moseley Forum Website (It has not yet been authorised)

You still have two hours left to register your view

barnardhobbit

Postby barnardhobbit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Ward Committee Meeting where we will find out the result of the CCTV public consultation exercise

barnardhobbit

Postby barnardhobbit » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 am

Here is a summary of the results of the consultation that can now be seen on-line HERE

Who Responded?

• 358 respondents completed a questionnaire (Either on Paper or On-Line)
    • 64% of respondents live in Moseley
    • 20% of respondents either work or own a business in Moseley
    • There was a relatively even split between male and females
    • The largest number of respondents were aged 26-45 years (141)
    • 71% of respondents were white British

What did they say?

• 96% feel safe/very safe during the day and 75% feel safe/very safe during the night.
    • 56% did not think CCTV would reduce crime in Moseley Village
    • 58% would not feel safer if CCTV were installed
    • 53% of respondents did not support CCTV
    • Of those respondents who supported CCTV most people agreed all sites were relevant, with the car park receiving the highest score.

The results from various boxes, the on-line poll, B13 Post Code Only and different streets
near to the Village Centre were compared and the result from each was very similar.

No boxes were disallow but two votes were rejected due to being incorrectly completed one
being from a Mr. M Mouse from Moseley, so if anyone knows him please let us know.

One thing we did find out much to my and most peoples surprise is that the Car Park had been
used by customers at night to visit the Moseley Village Brothel that had a back entrance that
lead to the Car Park.

The Ward Committee did decided based on the results to not support the installation of Public
Space CCTV on the Queens Highway in Moseley, although in what was considered by them as a
compromise they would put a request to the Safer Birmingham Partnership to see if they could
still have some CCTV on the Council Owned Car Park.

No one objected to there being CCTV in the car park at the meeting but I am defiantly against
CCTV being installed inside the Moseley Village Brothel otherwise the footage could end up on
youtube and show people in the public eye doing things I would rather not see.
barnardhobbit

Postby Daz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I've got to admit I was intrigued by the compromise proposal.

Having worked with the funding streams from that come through the thematic partnerships I'd say there is next to no chance of it being agreed.

It will need to be costed and planned and go through the gateway process in three months. Planning alone will be tricky. How do you ensure that the additional lighting needed to make it effective does not unduly impact the properties that surround the car park?

If that tight process is successful then residual money would need to be allocated to other projects in an even tighter time frame. They will not want to risk money being left over at the end of the year.

One of the main questions that Safer Birmingham will need to answer in developing the business case for the compromise plan will be "is there public support?". The consultation response says effectively, no there isn't. Although it was claimed there is support for the car park plan this was only support from the subset of people that supported the original plan. Under the parameters of the consultation people weren't asked about the car park.

Having said that the Ward Councillors had access to the consultation responses in advance of the meeting and I can't conceive that you would just knock up a plan like this without getting a nod from Safer Birmingham that it was possible.

Anyway, it will be interesting but my money is on this being the end of this particular scheme.
Daz
Site Dictator

Previous

Return to Chat