Peanut butter

For all those lovely recipes out there...

Peanut butter

Postby editorialgirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 pm

For reasons far too complicated to go into on this message board /:) , we have a jar of peanut butter in the house. Now, Daz hates it but I love it, so can anyone recommend tried-and-tested recipes for it to go into? I'm a bit bored of having it on toast (with jam... nomnom).

I'm wondering if anyone has made a really good satay sauce they want to tell me about, or some good peanutty biscuits...

thanks! :ymhug:
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Re: Peanut butter

Postby Bill Lees » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Is it smooth or crunchy? If it's crunchy, just get yourself a spoon, take the lid off, and nosh away. Yum.

Actually, you might want to have a shufti at This Website.
Bill Lees

Postby editorialgirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Bill Lees wrote:Is it smooth or crunchy? If it's crunchy, just get yourself a spoon, take the lid off, and nosh away. Yum.

Actually, you might want to have a shufti at This Website.

Crunchy. Always crunchy.

I don't really like it on it's own, truth be told. It's a bit... claggy.

Hmm, that website has potential (peanut butter pancakes? FTW! :-bd ) but all the recipes are in cups and I'm never sure what that means.
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Postby Bill Lees » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Did you know that there actually is a name for the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth?

Apparently it's Arachibutyrophobia. :-o
Bill Lees

Postby Brenda » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:47 pm

editorialgirl wrote:all the recipes are in cups and I'm never sure what that means.

Use a filled teacup, the same size (or same cup) for each ingredient. The cups measurement thing is approximate and also relative 1:1 or 1:2 or whatever so exact size (within reason) doesn't matter. You don't have to fill to the top either. Good for cookies and whatnot.

:!! <- does that look like a measuring cup or is it a frothy pint?
Brenda

Postby editorialgirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Brenda wrote:
editorialgirl wrote:all the recipes are in cups and I'm never sure what that means.

Use a filled teacup, the same size (or same cup) for each ingredient. The cups measurement thing is approximate and also relative 1:1 or 1:2 or whatever so exact size (within reason) doesn't matter. You don't have to fill to the top either. Good for cookies and whatnot.

That would work if the recipe didn't also include "one egg" and various teaspoons and tablespoons of things.

I found this Delia conversion table* which looks handy.

*a conversion table on the Delia website, not a website that tries to convert you to Delia.

Brenda wrote: :!! <- does that look like a measuring cup or is it a frothy pint?

:-\ It looks like... a smiley looking at its watch.
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Postby Brenda » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:06 pm

editorialgirl wrote:That would work if the recipe didn't also include "one egg" and various teaspoons and tablespoons of things.

Eggs are also many different sizes. You'd be looking to achieve a certain consistency in the dough, and some recipes state what that is. For cookies, that would be from sticky-stiff, for the ones where you spoon the dough in dollops onto the baking tray, to the much stiffer rolling consistency, where you need it to hold together like pastry or scones, and cut out with a cutter. The amount of liquid you need relative to the dry ingredients, is what you add to get the right consistency after you've added the egg (whatever size it is).

editorialgirl wrote:I found this Delia conversion table* which looks handy.

That woman's a genius. I still have her cakes book, still available from many charity shops for 50p. Tho mostly I suppose we all use the internet now for recipes.

editorialgirl wrote: :-\ It looks like... a smiley looking at its watch.

It does? :lol: Was hoping that there was baking with cups smiley. ~o)
Brenda

Return to Recipes